Professional No Limit Hold ‘em: Volume 1

As some of you may know, I’m working on a book project with Matt Flynn and Sunny Mehta. It is presently (possibly subject to change) a two volume work titled Professional No Limit Hold ‘em. Matt and Sunny are the main authors, and I’m playing the role of the glue that holds the project together.

We launched the project nine months ago with a view that we would write the no limit equivalent of Small Stakes Hold ‘em. But Matt and Sunny soon had grander plans. They had a set of powerful, but ultimately common sense ideas about no limit that have never been put in a book before. In fact, you can’t find much of it discussed on poker forums or blogs either.

Matt and Sunny thought the small stakes concept was fine and all, but really they wanted to write a book about these ideas which work great both at $0.25-$0.50 and at $25-$50. So we abandoned the small stakes plan and decided to make their theories the centerpiece of the book. So this is a book about understanding and beating no limit games, no matter the stakes. It’s geared for intermediate players, though I’d imagine any of my regular readers would be very qualified to get the most out of it.

We’re nearly done with Volume 1. In the next week or two, we’ll put the finishing touches on the manuscript. (Sorry I’ve been posting less regularly lately. When the manuscript is finally done, I should have more posting time.) A couple of months after that, the book should be printed and available to buy. I’d guess that the first books will hit the street in late March or April.

The remainder of this article is insider content available to premium members only. Log in to your account or become a premium member and get instant access.

Tags: , , ,

18 Responses to “Professional No Limit Hold ‘em: Volume 1”

rasta
@ Wed Jan 10, 2007 09:34:22 AM

You’re such a tease, Ed.

PeterL
@ Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:52:09 PM

Is there no way forum members can get advance copies?
It would be great if we could hit the tables with the knowledge within first.

Peter L

PeterL
@ Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:52:43 PM

PS I meant buy advance copies by the way

PeterL

JJS
@ Wed Jan 10, 2007 06:40:49 PM

Peter – While I agree it would be nice to get advance copies, I really don’t think it’s necessary. Even though I be but a humble poker newbie, I have experience in other fields which allows me to predict what will happen when this new book hits the stands.

First, the majority of players will not even buy it. They will either not hear of it, or will smugly think that they know better, or that all poker books are “scams” because no one would ever publish anything useful, etc. (I know one poker player who says this BTW)

Of the minority that do buy it, about 90% of them will either skim it lightly or will not read it at all. Then they will put it on the shelf next to all the other books in their ineffectual poker “libaray”, which exists only for the sole purpose of impressing their friends.

So in the end this book will have very little, if any, effect on the way poker is actually played.

Just call me an optimist. :)

PeterL
@ Wed Jan 10, 2007 07:18:02 PM

I Think you are probably right, I am just keen to get it as soon as possible.

Peter

Jay
@ Wed Jan 10, 2007 08:45:22 PM

April is a long wait.I’m sure it will be worth it
that’s all i have to say

BTR
@ Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:38:34 PM

[Quote]Of the 10% that read it carefully, about 90% of those will lack some characteristic they need to make effective use of the information. Discipline, or persistence, or plain ol’ common sense, etc. will be missing and they won’t get there.[/Quote]

Or read it and apply the concepts incorrectly and pour even more money into the table

I witnessed this one with SSHE. People fresh off their first reading were raising wildly with middle pair. They didn’t understand the concept Ed was explaining in his Q7s postflop concept example and the reason why the raise was correct.

PeterL
@ Fri Jan 12, 2007 08:50:31 AM

I think The Q7s Hand in SSHE did more to change my game than anything else I have read. But I do see what you mean.

A lot of people don’t read to learn but to validate there already bad play as good, that is they take out of it what they wish and ignore the rest.

For example a lot of people would see this as justification to call woth Q7s under the gun as it is obviously a powerful hand lol.

Long live books that teach some and validate bad play in others.

PeterL

My Poker Blog

Matt Ruff
@ Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:43:21 AM

Just rewatched Rounders the other night. Will there be a chapter on the use of Oreo cookies to narrow your opponent’s hand range?

KeithD
@ Fri Jan 12, 2007 04:55:35 PM

Will the new book be published by 2+2, given what a certain member of your household has to say about one of their principals?

Ed Miller
@ Sat Jan 13, 2007 03:31:08 PM

Matt,

We pushed the Oreo section back to Volume 2.

KeithD,

Yes, it’s under contract to 2+2.

Micro NL
@ Sat Jan 20, 2007 04:51:24 AM

While I think this sounds like a great book, and I will no doubt buy it, I think every specific corner of the world deserves a bit of light – when someone makes a specific book about Micro NL, it will be a big hit.

soupdragon
@ Sun Feb 11, 2007 05:00:07 AM

I’ve been playing limit for the past 18 months and just started playing no-limit trying the short stack approach outlined in GSIH.
I can’t wait for the new book but will it be too advanced for newbies like me?
Regards Paul.

Ed Miller
@ Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:02:12 AM

No, if you’ve read GSIH then you’re plenty ready for this book.

Keith Jackson
@ Thu Apr 12, 2007 06:07:23 AM

I cant wait for the book to come out now after reading that it will contain answers to the sort of questions similar to what I posed here.

yeye
@ Tue Apr 17, 2007 04:16:51 PM

Shouldnt this book be out soon?

Ed Miller
@ Tue Apr 17, 2007 04:23:55 PM

yeye,

I hope it will be. The manuscript is done and now the publisher has to sign off on it and then do its thing to bring it to market.

mike i
@ Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:40:30 AM

i read the book. very interesting