It’s getting to be that time, folks. Presales start on Tuesday for my brand-new book How To Read Hands At No-Limit Hold’em!
I’ll be honest. I’m surprised that no one else has written this book already. Hand reading is the single most important no-limit hold’em skill. Really it’s the single most important poker skill, period. If you can read hands better than your opponents, you’ll win. If you can’t, you won’t. Maybe it’s not quite that simple, but it’s close enough.
Yet here it is, nearing the end of 2011, and no one has written a book on hand reading yet. Really?
Well, the wait is almost over. How To Read Hands At No-Limit Hold’em breaks down this holy grail skill in painstaking detail. I start at the beginning and guide you step by step through the hand from preflop play through the river. At each stop I show you the process professional players use to figure out the cards their opponents hold. Sprinkled throughout I share with you exclusive tips and hand reading shortcuts I’ve developed throughout my playing career.
You know what made me want to write this book? Well, besides the fact that it’s on the most important and valuable poker skill there is and no one else wrote it first? I decided to write this book because I got sick and tired of reading accounts of voodoo hand reading.
How many times have you been reading a hand a pro wrote up when you come upon a line like this. “At that point, I could just feel like I had him beat.” Or something like this, “I wanted to call, but something about the situation told me it was time for a big laydown.” If you read about poker as much as I do, you’ve probably read lines like these a million times.
They drive me absolutely freaking crazy.
What is that supposed to teach you? That you’re supposed to have premonitions when you play poker? That professional poker is about being a claravoyant or having ESP? That if you don’t have the “feel” for poker, you might as well rack up your chips and head over to the roulette wheel?
No no no no no. That’s not what hand reading is about at all, and I can’t help but think that some of the guys who write this stuff do so because their own hand reading is shall we say a bit fuzzy.
Hand reading is a simple, straightforward, logical process. No voodoo. Believe me, you don’t have to be Miss Cleo to play top-notch poker. In How To Read Hands At No-Limit Hold’em, I show you how mere mortals like us can use plain old logical deduction to draw seemingly supernatural insights into what our opponents hold. And, as I do in all my books, I use plenty of example hands so you can see how this process unfolds in the heat of battle.
There’s one other thing that made me want to write this book. This information is going to be brand new and absolutely eye-opening to a whole lot of people.
I don’t like to waste my readers’ time with rehashed info they’ve heard a thousand times over. I like to zero in on the areas my readers need the most improvement on and hammer, hammer, hammer. I know this book is going to hit the mark.
I’ve worked with dozens of students over the past six months or so, and I’ve given them a sneak preview of some of the ideas in this book. It’s been eye-opening to nearly every one of them. These are people who have paid hundreds of dollars to learn from me, many of whom already win consistently at the $2-$5 and $5-$10 level, and this stuff was brand new to them.
And you can learn it for just $49.99. It’s an incredible value. In just one session of $1-$2 no-limit hold’em, you can easily win enough to make the book pay for itself.
You don’t have long to wait. Preordering starts on Tuesday, October 4th, and the book will be released to the world two weeks later on Tuesday, October 18th.
Make sure you get your order in before the 18th, though, because if you do, you get the follow bonus perks:
- All electronic formats for no additional charge. You get a PDF version for the computer, a PRC version for an Amazon Kindle, and an EPUB version for Apple iPad and iPhone, Barnes & Noble Nook, and most other e-reader devices. If you order after the 18th, it’s $5 extra for all the versions.
- A $5 off coupon for Flopzilla software. Flopzilla is a terrific and inexpensive software package that will be an invaluable companion as you learn to read and analyze hands logically. I show you how to use it in the book, and if you preorder you will get a coupon for $5 off Flopzilla.
- $60 off a 4 hour coaching package. This is good for new students and also for my existing students. You can get a 4 hour coaching package for $60 off the normal price. If you take advantage of this offer, it more than pays for the whole book.
Ok, enough sales pitch. I’m sure you’re convinced, and you’ll head on over to notedpokerauthority.com on Tuesday to be one of the first to preorder your copy. Until then, here’s the table of contents to help you wet your whistle.
- INTRODUCTION 7
- PART I: CORE HAND READING 9
- PLAYER TYPES 11
- THE THREE PRINCIPLES OF HAND READING 14
- HAND RANGES 17
- HAND COMBINATIONS 22
- PREFLOP HAND READING 24
- HAND READING ON THE FLOP 34
- HAND READING ON THE TURN 56
- HAND READING ON THE RIVER 78
- PART II: HAND READING VARIATIONS 89
- WHEN YOUR OPPONENTS DON’T COOPERATE 91
- WHEN DON’T THEY BET? 100
- GETTING RAISED 109
- DISCOUNTING HAND COMBOS 126
- POLARIZED HAND RANGES 128
- HAND READING IN MULTIWAY POTS 135
- USING FLOPZILLA TO PERFECT YOUR HAND READING 140
- PROFILING PLAYERS USING BAYESIAN INFERENCE 148
- QUICK CONCEPTS AND KEY POINTS 160
- PART III: HAND READING IN PRACTICE 167
- CONCLUSION 189
Tags: Hand Reading, how to read hands at no-limit hold'em, no-limit-holdem, poker, poker-books